Friday, August 14, 2015

Target hit the bullseye on marketing

So…Target is removing the colored kiosks and signage, that differentiated boys from girl’s section. Let’s throw this in the media, cause an outpouring of opinions, and give Target free publicity and advertising, as it indirectly applies it is making the isles gender neutral.

Seriously, do you guys really think Target give a crap about you and your opinions? This is smart marketing, and nothing more. The fact that you cannot go anywhere without Caitlin Jenner being splashed all over TV, magazines, and social media, Target decided to get a leg in. Think about it. While removing gender specific signage that costs target money, it gets them free publicity because people can’t shut up about it. That is two birds with one stone if I have ever seen it.  Essentially by saving a buck in signage, they also get their name spread all over the media at no expense to them because of feuding peoples opinion that Target could care a less about.

I will be completely honest. I never even noticed the signage to begin with. I have children and I never even noticed. My kid’s beeline towards the product they like. I suppose if you support the issue or not, you need to realize Target is an opportunist company that took advantage of something getting a lot of media attention, and decided to save a buck and coincidentally gets splashed in the media for free.

I suppose you could choose to not shop there, but the odds of anyone sticking to that plan are slim. I mean honestly I am not going to drive five miles further from my house just to not shop at a store that got rid of some signage I never noticed anyways. Target doesn’t care either way the only color they are concerned with is green. You are all green to them, not pink not blue.

I would rather have a neutral kiosk scheme than look at one more of Caitlyn Jenner’s photo shoots. What started out as a seemingly selfless movement has transitioned into media whoring, and exploitation of those that are actually of the transgender community? If you truly don’t support something stop giving it free press.

As for Target, be ready because more companies that have smart marketing departments will follow suit, and get their day in the tabloids. I mean what can’t the kiosks and shelving be white or black like in the gold old days anyways. If you are standing in an aisle, and you see a dress or blue jeans, are you so confused that you don’t know which outfit to buy your son? Imagine they remove the signage from the hygiene section; does a dude really need a colored shelf and a sign dictating to him that he probably doesn’t need a tampon? If he does, then there is a bigger issue.

Anyways, whatever your stance, I respect it. Please also remember that if you oppose this choice that was made at Target’s corporate level. Take it up with them. Those cashiers that work for minimum wage cannot help what their company has decided to implement.

How many even noticed the gender specific signage before they said they were taking it away? I know I didn't.



Sincerely, I never pay attention to the shelves and signs, but the items.

No comments:

Post a Comment