Thursday, August 13, 2015

40 is the new 15?

Perhaps certain aspects of life I cannot seem to grasp with my narrow little mind.
When did people become so damned helpless? It’s okay if you grew up poor and are now not, and choose to embellish your kids with things you didn’t have, and help them not worry about some of the things you had to worry about, but good God people, stop depriving them of COMMON SENSE adn allow them to grow up!!!! You are making them helpless lumps.

Literally there are some people that need to enter a self-sufficiency program, so they know how to live. I am not sure what is up with society spoiling the ever-loving brain activity out of their kid’s heads, but it is a thing, and it’s growing in popularity!

I am a returning college student, I love to learn and take the bulk of my classes via correspondence or at night so I don’t have to deal with people while I went back to school to change my degree. I had a few in-person classes I had left to take, and picked an older lady about forty, to sit by, since we were closer in age, and had children. She often looked on in my book because they are expensive and she didn’t have one. When the professor told us she had an additional required text we had to buy, this lady proceeded to whine, “But I am a poor college kid, I don’t have money for another book!” Yeah, I swallowed my gum, and looked at her. KID? I see no kid here. I see a whiny middle-aged woman making excuses. Lady you are a grown ass woman attending college, I can testify to this, because that is what I am! Here is some advice form someone 8 years your junior and a decade older than they typical student. Do not call yourself a kid!

In another class I had a younger girl of about 25, that was constantly showing us pictures of beer pong tables and her doing college aged stuff. One day she came in venting about how her roommate had broke the ceiling fan at a party they had, and the blade came off, and how when she called her apartment manager and asked her to send maintenance and the manager told her she could fix it or they would fix it and charge it back to her. She showed me a picture; she had literally just kicked the screw loose, so the blade sort of dangled. I told her go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get a screw and fix it. She looked at me crazy and said, “No way, I called my mom, they are going to have to deal with her now, because this is a risk to my safety, I could be watching TV and one of the other blades my roommate kicked could come off and hit me.” Wow. I didn’t know what to say. You are old enough to party, and savvy enough to build a beer pong table, but you can’t replace a screw to a fan you kicked and messed up? I think her way of thinking was a health safety issue.

I am not so sure how we have managed to raise a generation of people that can make nifty beer pong tables, and operate $800 cell phones, birth and raise a twenty year old son, but they cannot find the water shut off to their house when a flood happens, know they need to change the a/c filter in their house. Put gas, oil, and water in their cars, I mean basic things that keep your home operational, and yet refer to themselves a poor college kids. 

I love my children beyond compare, but at what point do they get to stop being kids and start being adults? When should mommy stop intervening in the behalf of her child, and let them deal with real life issues, so maybe, just someday, they can stand on their own two feet. Stop enabling your kids. We are breeding adults, full grown, 25 and 40 year old adults, that know how to have intercourse, make a baby, sign up for college courses, get housing assistance, a mortgage, buy a car and college free, that go around using, I am a poor college kid as a crutch. For the love of God stop calling yourself a kid! If you are old enough to drink alcohol and mortgage a home you are an ADULT. I now understand why Americans have high blood pressure, and are depressed. We have to deal with in my city alone, 200,000 people that have this mentality. I have never once had my child tell me they couldn’t because they were a kid. They simply said they didn’t know how, and I said, “Come here we can fix that,” and educated them how. Do you not feel guilty sending your grown kids out to live in a world you have not prepared them for?


 Personally, I would feel ridiculous saying, "Sorry son, mommy can't go to work, or take you to school today and parent you. What do you expect, I am just a college kid."


Sincerely, If at 25 you are a kid, then when I hit menopause I will be a pre-teen

No comments:

Post a Comment