Sunday, August 9, 2015

Do things out of kindness not out of attention

When I give to charities, or donations, I try to stay behind the scenes. If the person I give to chooses to thank me publicly that so be it. When I do things I do it out of the kindness of my heart, and if I have the extra money. I do not look for attention for doing a good deed.

I see many people do good things, and I am a firm believer no good deed goes unnoticed.  I don't even bat an eye if someone tells me or takes to social media that they did a good deed. It's the people that always post about every good deed that irks me. I literally mean every dime ever given was posted about. Sometimes, I like to be like the Tooth Fairy or Santa, and slip in and leave anonymous money so it feels like a blessing to someone that truly needs it, I don't want to ruin a good thing by incessantly attention whoring it out to the pubic.

When people do this I often wonder if they are giving for the right reasons. Are you giving because you sympathize? Are you giving because you have been there? Or are you giving to get attention from others? Or giving to make up for some miserable things you have done in your life?

Donations, and good deeds don't buy salvation, popularity, or even friends, so if you are doing it for these reasons it is wrong. You are exploiting a situation. In your attention seeking good deed adventure you make seem so selflessly about others, you are actually exploiting a person's bad luck with your good deed. You look like a hero, but at the victims expense. I don't even take issue with people that just say did a good deed today. However, in true social media fashion people take a picture of the person needing the money, give some back drop of their story, then immediately take a picture of the money they are going to give them, talk about the sacrifice they made to give the money, and share it to every social media page they know, with them taking the envelope and sticking their money inside, and making comments like oh well, I can work more hours to make the money back.

Why can you not do what regular people do, clean out closets, take t the nearest church to donate to the family or person in need, and then if you must take to social media to prove you are a good person to people you probably don't even talk to in real life, just put, did a good deed today.

 
 All I am saying is you can be a great person, a giving person even, but do not exploit the people you are giving to. Do not shame them and their situation while you gain an audience of non friends telling you "awe" and "how wonderful" you are.

When you give, give from the heart, and if you are included in a public thank you then great, otherwise you just look like you are only donating for the applause instead of the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment